Monday, January 16, 2012

Are you there Beano? It's Me, Morgan.

Forgive me for the title, but I must say I should NOT have had so much pizza last night. I know what you're thinking. Wasn't she on a diet? Well, yes. Yes I am. But when you wake up at 5am for a flight and that flight doesn't land until 9am and you decide to buy a rather interesting gluten-free burrito at the healthiest place in the airport....

then you have a stale soyjoy protein bar before a cold nap...

Trust me. I needed some comfort food.

Today I woke up lazily at eleven a.m. to a wonderful text from my boyfriend. It's hard being 900 miles away for months at a time, but modern technology makes it so much easier. We chatted on and off, he informed me he broke his chair and thought he might need to go on a diet (this is a perfectly normal day in our lives...lots of humor!).

Instead of going to the dining hall with the girls I remained in my room and had a rather interesting protein bar. I was feeling a little achey throughout my [nonexistent] muscles and decided, since I haven't had any meat in the past few days, that I needed protein. Promax (in Cake flavor) had a whopping 20 grams of protein!! It tasted extremely grainy and chewy, but I quite liked the so-called "healthy" icing on it. I'm not really a protein bar kind of gal...but I am forcing myself to stop skipping breakfast.

+ about 200 calories (I only finished 2/3 of the bar)
After this I trotted off with my girls to the bookstore. I found all of my books on Amazon, so all I needed were some notebooks and binders. What did you do to keep organized in college? I'm slowly trying to figure it out but lack a perfect system. Seems like everything nowadays is electronic. 

Around four p.m. we piled seven people in an extended cab truck and went off to the supermarket. I love grocery hauls! Especially when you're starting fresh. This is what I got: 
Peanut butter, two kinds of soup, black beans, Ohgave nectar, wheat crackers, organic peanut butter (almond butter was $9!! *tear*), wheat pasta, baked cheddar ruffles, oatmeal, dates, and protein bars. 

Eggs, greek yogurt, kale, light mayo, lemon juice, light balsamic salad dressing, spinach, ginger root, frozen strawberries, broccoli, goat cheese and tofu cream cheese.  

I HATE budgeting. But I got all of the above plus laundry detergent, hangers, and school supplies for $60. Whole foods had everything on sale and extremely cheap local produce. That's a plus of living near farmland! 

Last night we all exchanged belated christmas gifts. My friend Jen's parents found a Jack Daniels dark roast coffee. Man, does she know me well! Dark Roast is my absolute favorite. Can't wait to make it in the morning :) She also gave me three very much needed coffee cups. 
Of course, nothing beats the espresso I bought back from home! 
I can't wait to make my famous white chocolate mochas...I mean Hava Java's.... :D 
Recipe
2 shots of freshly brewed espresso
1 tablespoon of white chocolate Torani syrup *has to be Torani*
1 cup of 2% milk 

Within 10 seconds of the espresso being done brewing, pour it into a cup that has your pre-measured syrup (honestly, I had to try it over 20 times before I figured out how much syrup I personally desired). Swish the cup around. Pour in your milk and add ice to the top :) Enjoy

Another Recipe
2 shots of freshly brewed espresso
1 cup of Vanilla soy milk 

Pour freshly brewed espresso into a cup. Add soy milk, stir, and ice! How simple is that?

Please note that I am estimating measurements. Coffee flavorings are truly tricky because everyone has a different taste that they desire. For example, my best friend hailey uses two tablespoons of white chocolate syrup in her coffee, because she likes it extra sweet. I, on the other hand, am not a huge sweet coffee gal. I wouldn't mind mine with only 1/2 a tablespoon. 

After I got back from the grocery store I had a slice of ricotta tomato pizza and sparkling water with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for a bitter detox drink. 

My other best friend, Hailey, had purchased ingredients to make pesto Alfredo. Naturally I was summoned to cook it for her. Originally I had planned on having a little alfredo over a cup of Quinoa....but I, once again, failed to cook Quinoa properly. Something about it always goes wrong. They turned out decent enough to add to my yogurt + nuts in the morning, but did not sound pleasant in place of pasta. So I had about 3/4 a cup full of artery-clogging Alfredo. SO GOOD. 

My pesto Alfredo recipe: 
1 pint of heavy cream
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2-1 cup freshly shaven parmesan cheese (don't use grated!)
1 cup of a white cheese blend
1 tsp garlic salt
A packet of make-it-yourself pesto
1 box of angel hair spaghetti

Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter has melted, pour in the heavy whipping cream and soon after add the pesto mix. Once it has barely started boiling (don't scald milk!), add the parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese has fully melted. Add garlic salt and let simmer. Once it seems to be somewhat thin despite the parmesan cheese, add a cup of the cheese blend. Once that melts, taste the sauce. Sometimes I add up to an extra 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. White pepper works best and can be found for about 50 cents an ounce at local indian markets, opposed to $7 a bottle at the grocery. 

Serve over fresh angel hair. It will taste like you've bit into an angel. 

Goodbye y'all! Have a wonderful day, organize a little, do some grocery shopping, and relax. I rearranged my dresser to create a little bit of a hippie space: 



No comments:

Post a Comment