Monday, January 16, 2012

Beloved Books

Wow. I haven't made a blog post in a week! Just a week ago I was sleepily on my living room couch, mindlessly watching the Kardashians and their shenanigans. Now I've traveled 900 miles to lovely Fort Collins, CO, where I will be landlocked for close to three months until I break free for a sunny spring break. I'll miss everyone at home so dearly and I'm already dying to go back...but the friends I have here are so wonderful, genuine, and refreshing that it makes me feel like I need to live in two worlds at once!

That being said, for all of y'all back home...this blog will help you keep a close eye on me as my days blend together like a sweet black-raspberry smoothie (I'm obsessed!). I have an action-packed semester that will need my undivided attention as well as a complex workout plan to get in the best shape of my life. You wouldn't believe the determination that I feel pumping throughout my body. Seven months. Forty pounds. Pumping my fist in the air saying, "I can do it!" 

I know last week I said I would give you a list of my lifetime favorite books. I've picked a set of my modern favorite books as my list of favorite classics are not typically what my friends like.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
 For any of you out there in a nursing major...this one is for you! It's about a prof. at Harvard that is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. I don't want to say its cool to see behind the scenes of someone with Alzheimer's disease, but it certainly gives you a new perspective on life and cherishing time. As does the novel I love below...


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
(see my previous post for the description)


 The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
This novel is in the perspective of a dog! Can you fathom what it would be like to be a dog? Would you poop on your neighbor's lawn just to make them mad (not that I would...)? Or would you eat everything in sight because you don't have to worry about fitting in to any clothes? This is about a dog named Enzo who dreams of being reincarnated as a race car driver. It's a story of love, sadness, and struggle. With an awesome twist...it's hilarious!!!! If you have yet to read this, you must download it on your computer's kindle app, on your kindle, or go to the book store or library IMMEDIATELY. :D I read it during Saturday school detention in high school (in my defense it was because I had bronchitis and the swine flu which made me absent for 12 days...1 over the allotment).

Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz
Alexandra is a cognitive scientist who explains the mind of a dog, where the dog possibly evolved from, how they utilize parts of their body, and more. It's one of the most interesting books I've ever read...because of the footnotes. You cannot skip over them as they tell little stories that take your breath away. They're little interesting tidbits. For example...one of them spoke of how a dog was able to detect an epilepsy attack just moments before a child had one and would NOT allow the child upstairs. Isn't that amazing? This one is quite the read...but worth it if you're an animal lover like me :)

Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Have you seen the previews for the new show?! I just watched the pilot on hulu and it was hilarious. Now, let it be known that I have a very little boyish sexual humor and find Chelsea's obsession with midgets hilarious. Out of her four books, this one was my favorite. The moment when I'm a mother and my daughter turns 16, I'm buying her all of Chelsea's books as a way of telling her what NOT to do.

-I must interrupt-

It's TWENTY EIGHT degrees outside right now. My Arizona butt is NOT used to this.




 Wow, I guess I should charge my phone! 

Well, there are some great books for you to boogie on over to the library for. I'll be back after I grocery shop! Back in Colorado with an empty fridge. 




No comments:

Post a Comment