Thursday, January 05, 2012

Excuse Me, Paula Deen...

Make way for the new gal in town!

Alright, so maybe I cheated on my "diet"  new way of living...again. But I truly don't care! The scale said I was two pounds down, so I threw some flower down on the countertops and began expanding my cooking skills.

There could be many readers out there that don't know that I have absolutely no cooking experience. Sure, I worked in a bowling alley snack bar-but that only required knowledge of how to drop a fry basket in some old oil.

Because I live in a dorm with only a griddle, a crockpot, and a portable cupcake maker...I don't get to cook that often. So far this winter break I've made:

  • Chicken Alfredo
  • Biscuits and Gravy
  • Capellini alla Puttanesca (hold the anchovies)
  • Gluten-Free Brownies
  • Mediterranean Bruschetta (many times!)
  • Brat-worsts
  • Homemade Ravioli (three times) with my Pesto-Alfredo-Marinara
  • Those cheese stuffed burgers you saw
  • Phyllo dough stuffed cream cheese/goat cheese appetizers with honey, brown sugar, and walnuts (thanks to my boyfriend's sister)
  • Raw Brownies from My New Roots
Tonight I added: 
  • Buttercrust rolls from Jenna's Blog
  • Jenna's home-made (from scratch!) chocolate chip cookies
I felt like I didn't know some cut and dry basics in the cooking world. Now I know how to make the most delicious, moist cookies. Actually, I'm pretty sure these are the best homemade cookies I've ever had. I also know how to make some interesting rolls. Now, I'm not sure if they tasted like soft pretzels because I lacked actual buttermilk, or because they are supposed to taste like that. Sometimes it's difficult to recreate other bloggers' recipes when you don't know what it's supposed to taste like. 

Today I woke up at a whopping 12:38 PM....

*Round of applause for your bum blogger*

because I know that I won't get any sleep when school picks back up.

When I woke up, I made up for missing lunch by adding it to my breakfast of steel cut oats and fresh granola, berries, nuts, and yogurt. My lunch addition was merely leftovers from last night's dinner that I was unable to photograph for you.



After lunch I carted my old clothes off to Buffalo Exchange, a thrift store that gives you cash in exchange for your old clothes. I was granted almost $50 for a few pairs of old designer jeans that I most likely got at Buffalo Exchange in the first place. Afterwards I went to Victoria Secret's because of their annual PINK sale. Now, if you don't know me, you don't know that I despise the color pink. But I love comfy sweats! As I went in to the "PINK" store...I discovered two pairs of sweats that were each half off! Instead of that dreadful highlighter pink that consumed every shelf, I bought a pair of black sweats and a cute velvety pair of dark blue pants. Oh, how I love feeling so comfy!

Per the usual, I wore the most unsuitable outfit in the kitchen. My new black sweats and a white tank top. As I washed all of my dishes prior to cooking, I soaked the shirt. Unfortunately there were no judges for the wet t-shirt contest. Just my two kitties secretly snickering at me on the bar.

After I started my baking process, I accidentally added sugar to FIVE cups of flower when I was supposed to caramelize it. UGH. I ran outside, chucked the flower out of the bowl, and then stomped my way back to the kitchen. As I stomped, little puffs of white followed my each and every foot-stomp. I looked down to find my new pants covered in white. Smart move, me. After a while I giggled, reminded of how, like me, my grandmother always wears a white shirt when she makes a dish containing red sauce. She always ends up changing for dinner only to splatter it on herself once again at the dinner table. Like grandmother like granddaughter.


All of these ingredients (and homemade buttermilk) turned into the dough-balls below after an hour and a half...

After almost another hour (and lots of N64 time in between):


I finally resided to the couch to get some much-needed studying in after I packaged up the rolls. As I tapped my fingers on the boring pages of my textbook, I realized that I itched to make something else. Without thinking, I headed to the kitchen and began making the soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe I had seen earlier on Jenna's blog. It yielded well over 3 dozen cookies, so I decided to keep a giant bag of cookie dough to make fresh cookies next time my boyfriend comes over. 


 Truly the best cookies I've ever had. Now my tired eyes are going to focus on my Kindle and I'm curling up into my comfy fuzzy blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment